Louis Marx started production in the UK in 1931 making toy trains. The original factory was in Dudley.
After WW2 (the Dudley factory was taken over for vital war production.) the Company moved to a new site at
Swansea Industrial Estate .The Estate had been opened in 1945 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth as part
of the Governments attempt to re vitalise South Wales. Louis Marx and Co Limited took possession of their
new factory at Ystrad Road, Swansea Industrial Estate, Fforestfach, West Glamorgan in September 1948.
In 1967, the UK Company was bought by Dunbee Cobex and continued to produce Marx toys under the name of Louis
Marx and Company Limited until 1976. It was at this time that Dunbee Cobex Marx, as it was known, took over
the US Company from Quaker Oates and continued to produce toys until February 1980. Huge losses in the USA
forced in the receiver in the UK and the Swansea factory was finally closed on the 2nd January 1981.
Several attempts were made to keep the company going in the UK but on the 11th August 1992 Louis Marx and
Company Limited was finally dissolved.